Thursday, 24 October 2013

Lesson No 1. If it isn't broken don't fix it

Just prior to printing 12 10"x10" for assignment one I ordered some new paper, Canson Baryta Photographique 310g. Also at this time I had started to read some of "The Digital Print" by Jeff Schrewe, in particular anything relating to gamut, rendering intent and black point compensation. My current paper and workflow combination was working fine but one is always curious that something better is hidden around the corner. After a day of changes, many of which were not properly thought through and therefore any difference was not easily attributed to any specific method. I returned to my original paper and settings so that the assignment can proceed and will come back to the new paper in the future. Lesson learnt is dont experiment with assignment output. Carry out experiments at a suitable time, make one change at a time, make contemporaneous records and be methodical. I have a friend who works in science research who's diary (after a day of experiments) often reads "Results: nothing happened, no change". That may happen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment